Date: 7/9/17 9:50 am
From: Larry Cartwright via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Dyke Marsh breeders and terns on the move.
About 10 people joined me for today's walk at Dyke Marsh that is sponsored
by the Friends of Dyke Marsh and begins every Sunday at 8:00 AM except
during the Christmas Bird Count season. It was a bit slow today, but the
assembled group of birders had some interesting sightings. Ospreys have
fledged young from at least three nests and the fledged youngsters at the
marina nest have undertaken short distances forays around the marina and
south picnic area. House Finches were feeding fledged young in two
different family groups and we also found fledged Northern Mockingbirds,
Red-bellied Woodpeckers, and Gray Catbirds. A Marsh Wren sang near the
Little Gut. Alas, this individual is part of a remnant population. Marsh
Wrens have not bred at Dyke Marsh since 2014. Fall migration has started
for some Larids, with both Caspian and Forster's Terns seen today.

Dyke Marsh Wildlife Preserve, Fairfax, Virginia, US Jul 9, 2017 7:55 AM -
11:21 AM

Protocol: Traveling

1.3 mile(s)

51 species

Canada Goose 132

American Black Duck 1

Mallard 40

Double-crested Cormorant 4

Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 4

Great Egret 15

Osprey 17 Including fledged young from three nests.

Bald Eagle 4

Red-tailed Hawk 1

Ring-billed Gull 8

Caspian Tern 2

Forster's Tern 3

Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 4

Mourning Dove 5

Chimney Swift 20

Red-bellied Woodpecker 6 Including a fledged young.

Downy Woodpecker 6

Hairy Woodpecker 2

Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) 1

Great Crested Flycatcher 3

Eastern Kingbird 4

Warbling Vireo 4

Red-eyed Vireo 3

Blue Jay 2

Fish Crow 6

Northern Rough-winged Swallow 1

Purple Martin 4

Tree Swallow 2

Carolina Chickadee 7

Tufted Titmouse 3

White-breasted Nuthatch 3

Marsh Wren 1

Carolina Wren 12

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 3

American Robin 20

Gray Catbird 2 Including a fledged young

Northern Mockingbird 5 Including three fledged young at the marina.

European Starling 10

Cedar Waxwing 3

Common Yellowthroat 3

Yellow Warbler 1

Song Sparrow 1

Northern Cardinal 10

Indigo Bunting 3

Red-winged Blackbird 30

Common Grackle (Purple) 6

Orchard Oriole 4

Baltimore Oriole 3

House Finch 15 Including adults feeding fledged young in two family
groups.

American Goldfinch 7

House Sparrow 2

View this checklist online at