Date: 7/8/17 12:19 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET 83rd St Fluddle, Whalon Lake & Fermi Lab Saturday 7-8-17
Hello Bird People,

Thanks to some info from my friend Mike Madsen I started at the Greene
Valley 83rd St Fluddle where as Mike said the shorebird habitat is
good at least until the next batch of rain comes in.
Mostly I saw Killdeer but there were 5 other shorebird species present
as well. With 1 exception all were what you'd expect to see in
mid-July. Here's my site list:

83rd Street Fluddle (Greene Valley F.P.) (7:15-9 a.m. including the
walk to & from the parking lot)

D.C. Cormorant (1-AD)
Great Blue Heron (1)
Canada Goose (16-AD & 1 small young one)
Mallard (15-AD & 8 young)
Killdeer (69)
Spotted Sandpiper (11)
Lesser Yellowlegs (4)
Solitary Sandpiper (1)
Least Sandpiper (16-18)
SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER (1, for sure)
(Usually don't find 1 of these until the end of July but in with the
Least's was 1 peep with black legs, a short, stubby bill & without the
brownish back with white stripes as on the Least's.)
Ring Billed Gull (1-AD)
Caspian Tern (2-AD)
Mourning Dove (2)
Tree (2) & Barn (3) Swallows
Goldfinch (1)
(All the above were in the water or on the mud flats)

Along the edges were Yellow Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, Catbird,
Cardinal & Red Wings.
Away from the Fluddle were Red Bellied Woodpecker (a young one),
Eastern Kingbird, Chickadee, House Wrens, Robins, Warbling Vireo,
Field & Song Sparrows & a singing Eastern Towhee.

Then a stop at the wetlands part of Whalon Lake where the water is
fairly high with only small mud edges where the land & water meet. In
the water were Great Blue Heron (1), Great Egret (10),
Canada Goose (17) & Mallard (4-AD & 12 young in 2 groups), Flying over
the water were Tree & Barn Swallows & on the mud edges were Killdeer
(6) & Spotted Sandpiper (1).

Then to Fermi Lab where I found out why none of the recent ebird
reports have included any shorebirds except for a few Killdeer. The
water is very, very high with no sign of any shorebird habitat at A.E.
Sea or Lake Law. Didn't check the far south lake as I didn't have much
hope it would be any better.

I am running into the same problem at all my shorebird areas & that is
even when you find a fairly good shorebird spot (83rd St Fluddle,
Burnham Prairie Marsh) there's no other nearby place to also find
shorebirds. If I am going to drive that far it seems to me that I need
more than 1 location to make it worth driving such a distance.
Otherwise it's not very efficient birding. Need to work on that.

Bird-Of-The-Day (probably for the 1st time ever) to the somewhat early
Semipalmated Sandpiper
&, keeping it an all shorebird awards day, Runner-Up to the finally
seen Solitary Sandpiper.

Al Stokie
Looking at high water levels in DuPage & Will Co's today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: