Date: 7/7/17 8:26 pm
From: Roy Gerig <roygerig...>
Subject: [obol] Townsend's Warblers, Townsend's Solitaires in the Oregon north central coast range, mostly Polk and Lincoln Counties into Tillamook, Yamhill, Benton as well
In 20 years or more of looking for birds in the area, on different
projects, I never found a Townsends Warbler in nesting time, rarely ever at
other times of the year either. Hermits are very abundant, and their songs
and calls are variable. My opinion in this part of OCR: I don't know much
about Hermit Warbler songs other places, here you can't call (formerly
Dendroica) warblers with confidence from only a song

Like the Red-Tailed Hawk, it is always a Hermit Warbler

From that, I agree with Mike Patterson, if I understood what he said, in
every way

I birded a good decade before I was employed to do so, in the N-C Oregon
coast range starting in late 1970s I found TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRES and their
young soon after, in the clear cuts around the edges. It wasn't well known
just yet, TOSO is likely an uncommon breeder in the N-C OCR. TOWA is not
a breeder there at all. in my view

Roy Gerig Salem OR

Join us on Facebook!