Date: 7/7/17 2:44 pm
From: Beverly Hallberg <mapsout...>
Subject: [obol] RBA Lucy's Warbler-Manzanita Tillamook
Hi guys,

I had very good looks at what I can only say was a Lucy's Warbler in my
backyard in a tree near the feeders - not on a feeder. It was a small,
plain gray warbler with a slim dark bill. Overall warbler type of
appearance and shape and behavior as it perched for a few seconds checking
out the action at my busy feeder packed with birds including many
juveniles. There was no eyering and I didn't note any variation of shading
overall in the bird - especially around the eye - no eyebrow - no
wing-bars. Was definitely not a gnatcatcher. I did not notice a pale
eyeline but I was too shocked to note many details over the 5 seconds I
looked through my bins out the window. The face was pale but the head was
darker on top which may have been the rusty patch but I did not see this
color as it was facing me. Nor could I see the rump in this position.

Then, of course, my "yard" crow called, made a landing on my pergola and
everyone scattered. (By the way, this crow has taken at least one baby
bird from my yard to eat!) I have not seen the warbler since, but I am
staying in my backyard to see if it comes back. I don't get many warblers
in my immediate backyard trees except and an occasional stop-by like this
one or in migration. But they sing and breed in the park forest behind my
house. I came outside, where I am now, and also was sure I heard it sing
song that matched a Lucy's Warbler on xeno-canto and is one that I have not
heard before from my yard. But no further appearance - yet. Dang - wish I
had a picture to show but I'm not hopeful of a return unless someone has a
suggestion on what might attract it. I already have lots of seed feeders,
suet feeders and hummingbird feeders.

In other news, I saw seven dead Common Murres carcasses in one mile of
beach walking - mostly days old and well eaten but one fresh that was
washing in with the tide. Also three live ones feeding in the Nehalem
River and bay. And about 40 mixed shorebirds - mostly Western.

Good birding,
Beverly Hallberg

Join us on Facebook!