Date: 7/7/17 1:58 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Road issues near E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area (Hwy 99W)
Hi all,

For anyone considering birding at E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area today,
please be aware that Hwy 99W is snarled up along the west side of the
wildlife area.

Last night a double-tanker truck carrying some 8000 gallons of gasoline
went off the highway into the ditch just south of Camp Adair Rd. and was
leaking gas into the ditch. Electricity was shut off to our neighborhood
overnight and most of this morning as a precaution for emergency
response crews, otherwise I would have posted sooner.

Traffic is now moving slowly in one lane with the aid of flaggers, but
there are backups. I imagine there will be some groundwater
contamination from the spilled fuel that could have some effect on
wetlands downslope in E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area.

Detouring via Independence Hwy (to the east) or Tampico/Airlie Rd. (to
the west) is advisable.

Good birding,
Joel

--