Date: 7/7/17 11:04 am
From: Range Bayer <range.bayer...>
Subject: [obol] * Re: Re: Townsend's Warblers in the Oregon Coast Range
Hi,

Chuck Philo adds that he has birded at high elevations in the Lincoln
County Coast Range many times during the past 22 years but only once
saw a Townsend's Warbler. He saw one on Sept. 13, 2002. He made his
trips throughout the year.

Range Bayer, Newport, Oregon.

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 5:50 PM, Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...> wrote:
> I too remember an occasional large wintering flock on the coast. The first
> I ever saw of the species was on an Audubon field trip near Tillamook. I
> remember a mid-sized Wester Hemlock with maybe 50 or more Townsend’s
> Warblers in it. That written, they seem more common in Portland in winter
> than they used to be.
>
> Jeff Gilligan
>

> On Jul 5, 2017, at 2:58 PM, Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...> wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Here around Newport Townsend's are uncommon wintering, and regular at least
> from September to April. However, they seem to be much less common than in
> the 1970s. Back then I regularly encountered wintering flocks of 20-30
> birds, whereas I now mainly see numbers in single digits.
>
> I suspect they like the Sitka Spruce zone here better than the Doug Fir
> dominated east side of the Coast Range.
>
> Wayne
>
> On 7/5/2017 1:20:07 PM, Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...> wrote:
> I have lived in the Washington County Coast Range for 25 years and seen
> Townsend's Warbler
> at best TWICE in all those years. Even spring records at the peak of
> migration should be well
> documented in my opinion. When there are scores on Mt Tabor there are zero
> at my house. I
> learned about ten years ago that "heard only" Hermit/Black-throated Gray in
> my immediate area
> are best reported that way. I have seen enough Hermits singing B-t G songs
> on Hayward Rd to make
> me gunshy everywhere I hear either species now.
> Lars

> On Jul 5, 2017, at 9:46 AM, Russ Namitz wrote:
>> Excellent discussion. Townsend's Warbler was listed as my most likely
>> potential Yamhill County bird in late June via eBird "needs" list. What?
>> That seemed unlikely and almost certainly due to number of accepted records
>> during that month.
>>
>> There are number of accepted June records for a few other Coast Range
>> counties in OR. I'm sure this discussion will hop over to the OR eBird
>> Reviewer listserve on how to best to handle this issue. Reports from the
>> southern Cascades would need to undergo the same scrutiny.
>>
>> Good birding,
>> Russ Namitz
>>
>> Sent from my iPhonePOST: Send your post to <obol...>
POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!