Date: 7/7/17 10:59 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Wood Dale/Itasca Reservoir Complex Friday 7-7-17
Hello Bird People,

This is mainly to let others know that all sections of this place are
suffering from an overabundance of water & almost no shorebird habitat
is present. Only along the banks of Salt Creek was there a bit of mud
edge & there I saw 3 Spotted Sandpipers, my only shorebirds of the
day. I do not think I'll be back here for a while as the outlook for
shorebird habitat is poor. Maybe by August if the rains ever slow
down.

The only water birds seen today were in the main reservoir & included
D.C. Cormorant (11), Great Egret (2), Green Heron (1), Canada Goose
(14), Mallard (4), Ring Billed Gull (3) & Caspian Tern (2 hunting).

The middle Pond had 2 Cormorants & 1 Caspian Tern & the Creek area had
18 Rough Winged Swallows on a mud flat besides the above mentioned
Spotted Sandpipers. Absolutely no birds at all at the western wetlands
which is as flooded as I've ever seen it. All land areas completely
under water.

Later I made a stop at the nearby Song Bird Slough where all I saw
were nesting birds including Warbling Vireo (3), Yellow Warbler (2),
Common Yellowthroat (6), Field (5) & Song (4) Sparrows.
One Great Blue Heron flew by & 3 Great Egrets were resting in a bare
tree. In contrast to the shortage of birds there were plenty of Deer
Flies but I managed to avoid being bitten this time.

Bird-Of-The-Day & "Good Dad Award" goes to a male Baltimore Oriole
picking & feeding berries to a young Oriole. Runner-Up to the
reservoir Green Heron which I didn't expect to see.
I did not see either Wood Stork or Redshank today. Must be looking in
the wrong places!

Al Stokie
In DuPage County today dodging Deer Flies

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: