Date: 7/6/17 9:06 pm
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Townsend's Warblers in the Oregon Coast Range
Tim,

Keep in mind that 1986 was 31 years ago and I was just a kid of 41. ;-)

The stand where I heard that bird was north of Lorane OR. I can’t give coordinates; it’s been too many years and I don’t have access to the project maps.

By 1986 I was in my 4th year of field research on forest birds. I had worked two seasons: in the North Cascades of Washington, and in Montana and the Blue Mts of Oregon before I came to the Oregon Coast range. I was very familiar with Townsend’s Warbler song. I was crew chief of our bird effort that season. My notes in my little spiral note book list ‘Townsend’s Warbler 1’ with an arrow pointing to it. That is my designation that I considered it a special sighting.

In my diary for that day I say “I heard a warbler singing “zhe ZHEE tjuh, tjuh, tjuh.” I listened to it repeatedly and even tried to see it (unsuccessfully). I came back after my census and heard it again and tried to get a look at it off and on for an hour. Still no luck. I called it a Townsend’s warbler.” That written description on the song is what I consider the classical Townsend’s song.

I agree with you that Hermit and Black-throated Gray warblers sound similar and mimic each other’s songs. I find them difficult. Working through the season for two years I came to believe that Hermit Warblers sing one song early in the season, when they’re seeking mates, then change songs once they are mated. (sort of like humans) ;-)

Townsend’s songs I find easier to distinguish, especially the classic one.

Cheers,

Paul