Date: 7/6/17 3:44 pm
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Townsend's Warblers in the Oregon Coast Range
For what it's worth...

I worked on Old Growth research in the central part of the Oregon Coast
Range in 1985-86. We had plots in sort of a rough rectangle bounded by Rice
Hill and Roseburg on I-5 and inland 20 mi from the ocean from Coos Bay to
Reedsport, We had plots in various ages of timber.

I just went back to my notes of the birds that I recorded on the days that I
worked, representing various stands of timber on different days. I pulled
data from April 19 - June 30 for both years.

1985 (34 days afield)
32 Black-throated Gray Warbler
226 Hermit Warbler
1 Townsend's Warbler (May 16, 1985)

1986 (37 days afield)
19 Black-throated Gray Warbler
293 Hermit Warbler
2 Townsend's Warbler (April 19 & June 19, 1986)

That's all the Townsends I recorded.

Paul Sullivan
-----------------------------
Date: Wed Jul 5 2017 16:58 pm
From: whoffman AT peak.org
Hi -

Here around Newport Townsend's are uncommon wintering, and regular at least
from September to April. However, they seem to be much less common than in
the 1970s. Back then I regularly encountered wintering flocks of 20-30
birds, whereas I now mainly see numbers in single digits.

I suspect they like the Sitka Spruce zone here better than the Doug Fir
dominated east side of the Coast Range.

Wayne
----------------------
On 7/5/2017 1:20:07 PM, Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...> wrote:*

I have lived in the Washington County Coast Range for 25 years and seen
Townsend's Warbler
at best TWICE in all those years. Even spring records at the peak of
migration should be well
documented in my opinion. When there are scores on Mt Tabor there are zero
at my house. I
learned about ten years ago that "heard only" Hermit/Black-throated Gray in
my immediate area
are best reported that way. I have seen enough Hermits singing B-t G songs
on Hayward Rd to make
me gunshy everywhere I hear either species now.

Lars
-------------------------
On Jul 5, 2017, at 9:46 AM, Russ Namitz wrote:

> Excellent discussion. Townsend's Warbler was listed as my most likely
potential Yamhill County bird in late June via eBird "needs" list. What?
That seemed unlikely and almost certainly due to number of accepted records
during that month.

> There are number of accepted June records for a few other Coast Range
counties in OR. I'm sure this discussion will hop over to the OR eBird
Reviewer listserve on how to best to handle this issue. Reports from the
southern Cascades would need to undergo the same scrutiny.

Date: Wed Jul 5 2017 10:21 am
From: celata AT pacifier.com
I would not be so bold as to speak for the entire Coast Range, but I can
say that in the last 30 years...
that's right, I moved to Astoria in 1987.

..in the last 30 years I have chased many claims of summering
Townsend's Warblers between Pacific Co and TillamooK Co. I have never
been able to verify any because all the (mostly) Hermit Warblers were
making far too much noise and doing so with a reckless disregard for
what the tapes, CD's and smartphone apps would have us believe Hermit
Warblers are supposed to sound like.

...and if they're not Hermits, they are Black-throated Gray Warblers...

I have done the ground work using tape play-back and/or diligent
chasing. No Townsend's.

The last of the Townsend's Warblers usually clear out by the end of May
and do not re-appear until August.

So...

Listing Hermit Warbler OR Black-throated Gray OR Hermit/BTYW would be
reasonable for ebirders, but throwing Townsend's into the mix muddies
the waters unnecessarily. I would argue that if a birder is that unsure
about what they are hearing they might want to consider warbler sp. (or
just pretend like they didn't hear the thing).
--

Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR

POST: Send your post to <obol...>