Date: 7/6/17 1:05 pm
From: Yvonne Stecher <ystecher...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] Laser pointers
I almost never post to Jerseybirds, but is laser use something we as birders should be doing or advocating? Even if you are not aiming it at a specific bird or suspected location, aren't you still likely to inadvertently paint up some other wild creature? Does anyone know of any studies showing how birds react to lasers?

> On July 5, 2017 at 12:00 PM Steve Mattan <stevemattan...> wrote:
>

> Marty,
>
> Green laser pointers are not illegal in the US. However there are power level restrictions.
>
> Any reputable amateur astronomy shop should have models that meet the restrictions for general use.
>
> Steve Mattan
> Earth
> Visit My Photoblog: http://recycledphotons.blogspot.com
>

> > On Jul 5, 2017, at 11:08 AM, Marty DeAngelo <martytdx...> wrote:
> >
> > During a Christmas Bird Count, a fellow birder whipped out a green laser
> > pointer to direct our view toward where to look for birds (don't worry, he
> > was careful to point it NEAR the location and direct us from there). I know
> > that green lasers are likely illegal in the U.S. (the interwebs seem to
> > differ on that fact), but I'm wondering if anyone knows any other laser
> > pointers with sufficient strength and accuracy to do something similar. I'm
> > heading up to NH in 10 days and want to help the kids know where to look
> > when I find birds in the woods.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> > Marty DeAngelo
> >

> > How to report NJ bird sightings: see <www.njbrc.com/index.php/reporting-rare-birds/>