Date: 7/6/17 12:53 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET N.E. Lake County Shorebird Survey Catch Up Thursday 7-6-17
Hello Bird People,

Did 3 more Summer/Fall shorebird survey locations today & now I have
at least 1 visit at all my 2017 survey spots except for Wood Dale
Reservoir & Big Marsh both of which remain flooded & may have to left
out this year unless things change at both places. I may have to find
a substitute location or 2? Here's what I saw today & it's mainly
beach birds & not land birds.

Waukegan Beach (6:30-7:30 a.m.)

Not 1 other person here today & that's fine with me. I am pleased to
report that the COMMON TERN colony mentioned by Donnie D & biologist
Brad S is still in business with a max count of 12 flying above the
nest site when I walked by although a few more may have been on nests.
Looks like the 4th of July crowds & the big storm did not drive them
out at least so far. Biggest threat will be dogs running freely as the
area is roped off but that won't stop the dogs & dogs there are.

D.C. Cormorant (7)
Great Blue Heron (2)
Great Egret (1)
Canada Goose (86)
Mallard (2 in the lake & a family group of 7 in the backwaters)
Killdeer (2 on the main swimming beach)
Spotted Sandpiper (10-11)
Ring Billed (~75) & Herring (20) Gulls
Caspian Tern (7 on the beaches)
COMMON TERN (Max=12)
Purple Martin (2 hunting)
Bank & Barn Swallows
Marsh Wren (4 singing with 1 well seen for a change)
Dicksissel (2 singing)
Song Sparrow (also 2 singing)
Red Wings (~10) & Grackle (2)

No dive bombing by the Common Terns today but I walked on the beach
edge closest to the water as far from them as possible. See to it that
you do the same as this is a VERY important nesting site.

Illinois Beach South Unit (8-10 a.m.)

Birds Seen & Heard From The Beach Only

D.C. Cormorant (7 fly-bys)
Canada Goose (6 at the river mouth)
Killdeer (6)
Spotted Sandpiper (1-AD & 1 young)
Ring Billed Gull (220 & 40)
Herring Gull (few fly-bys)
Caspian Tern (4 fly-bys)
Tree, Bank & Barn Swallows
Crow (1 on the beach)
Brown Thrasher (1 singing near the beach)
HORNED LARK (1 Juvenile)
(This time I was ready for this bird & when I saw it I thought of the
song by The Who called
"Won't Get Fooled Again!" & I was NOT fooled. Check your Field Guide
for a juvenile & you'll see why you just might get fooled.)
Eastern Meadowlark (3-4 singing)
BREWERS BLACKBIRD (7-8 feeding on the beach as always)

Inland birds included a still singing Yellow Warbler & 3 singing
Common Yellowthroats.
Best bird here was a singing but hard to see male SUMMER TANAGER 1st
just south of the Nature Center lot & then in the lot area. Glad I
actually found this one by myself unlike last time when Adam S did the
finding.

State Line Beach (10:30-10:45 a.m.)

Arrived to see over 300 Gulls & Terns at the north end of the beach
but within 5 min a family showed up with 1 little monster who ran into
any group of Gulls that formed or reformed. Before the kid onslaught
I noticed a few shorebirds on the green glop at the north end. By some
miracle they did not fly away with the Gulls & being small the kid did
not notice them. Turned out to be 7 Least Sandpipers, my only migrant
shorebirds of the day. Also present were 17 Caspian Terns but all flew
away. This will be a tough place to cover during Summer beach season.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the juvenile Horned Lark which seem to show up on
these beaches every year. Wonder where they come from?
Runners-Up to the Summer Tanager & the Common Terns. May they survive
& prosper although I have my doubts if the dogs show up as they
usually do.

Al Stokie
In N.E. Lake County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>