Date: 7/6/17 9:33 am
From: Tom Crabtree <tc...>
Subject: [obol] Re: AOU: RIP RNDU.................sigh...
RIP: AOU (sigh). It’s now the AOS.

From: <obol-bounce...> [mailto:<obol-bounce...>] On Behalf Of Robert O'Brien
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2017 9:15 AM
To: obol
Subject: [obol] AOU: RIP RNDU.................sigh...

In the first edition of his Field Guide to the Birds (1934) Roger Tory Peterson states under the Ring-necked Duck heading

"The name Ring-billed Duck would be more appropriate, as an examination at very close range is necessary

to be aware of the dull chestnut ring that encircles the neck."

I doubt he was the first to mention this.

Whenever I pointed out this duck to casual birding friends or acquaintances I would always mention this

bit of avian trivia. I really enjoyed that. But no more. Many decades later the AOU has done the deed.

I'm going to miss the Ring-necked Duck sorely.

See attached photo. The Oregon Zoo allows RTP's very close examination. I imagine hunters also had/have

the occasion for such an examination.

Bob OBrien Carver OR

Join us on Facebook!