Date: 7/6/17 9:15 am
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] AOU: RIP RNDU.................sigh...
In the first edition of his Field Guide to the Birds (1934) Roger Tory
Peterson states under the Ring-necked Duck heading

"The name Ring-billed Duck would be more appropriate, as an examination at
very close range is necessary
to be aware of the dull chestnut ring that encircles the neck."

I doubt he was the first to mention this.

Whenever I pointed out this duck to casual birding friends or acquaintances
I would always mention this
bit of avian trivia. I really enjoyed that. But no more. Many decades
later the AOU has done the deed.
I'm going to miss the Ring-necked Duck sorely.

See attached photo. The Oregon Zoo allows RTP's very close examination. I
imagine hunters also had/have
the occasion for such an examination.

Bob OBrien Carver OR

Join us on Facebook!