Date: 7/5/17 6:16 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Reporting of "slash" category Townsend's Warblers in the Oregon
Hi all,

While I share Dave Irons' opinion that Townsend's Warblers are scarce or
perhaps even nonexistent in the Coast Range after May, I differ with
Dave in my opinion as to where that opinion should be enforced, in
lasting datasets.

Reporting a bird as Whatsit/Whatsnotit on a checklist does not preclude
filtering such observations based on the opinions of knowledgeable
observers like Dave, when it comes to scientific analysis. It's simply a
matter of inserting a bit of code that says, in effect:

"if reported as (x/y) where y is overwhelmingly expected, then assume
y."

This is not hard to do. It also has the advantage of making these
assumptions (even when well-founded, as I consider to be the case in
this instance) explicit in the analysis, rather than implicit as a
function of what amounts to browbeating of observers.

eBird utilizes the observations of amateur observers with widely ranging
levels of experience. I just got done writing up the summer edition
field notes for Corvallis Audubon, where I chose to ignore a report of a
regional rarity (Cassin's Finch) with no meaningful details by an
observer who acknowledged in his profile that he was only up to 50 on
his life list, yet that report seems to have slipped past the county
editor.

Observer uncertainty is part of the terrain, and eBird editors had
better figure out a way to live with it. Let observers who are unsure
express their uncertainty. Correct it by algorithms in your analysis.
Making upstream "corrections" by influencing observers to report one way
or another, or to suppress their doubts, leads to statistical bias that
is far more difficult to correct by algorithms.

Good birding,
Joel

Join us on Facebook!