Date: 7/5/17 10:53 am
From: Adrian Hinkle <adrian.hinkle...>
Subject: [obol] Sandy River Delta VEERY
My mom and I were very surprised to see a Veery at Sandy River Delta,
Multnomah County this morning. Unfortunately it did not vocalize. It was
between the "kingbird tower" and the blind overlooking the Columbia River,
in the cottonwoods and willows close to the slough. A quarter mile past the
kingbird tower on the confluence trail is a trail on the left leading down
the bank to the slough. We had the Veery about 50 meters beyond that on
both sides of the trail. I scattered grass on the ground and tied some to a
branch over the trail where we saw it.

The Veery was redder-backed than a Swainson's Thrush, though not as
strikingly so as the eastern form of Veery depicted in many field guides.
It had very weak brown spotting on the upper breast, faintly washed in
buff. The flanks were pale grayish, almost white. The face was gray with a
faint whitish eye-ring. It stayed at least ten feet off the ground, and
despite several good views over the course of a couple minuntes, I was
unable to snap a useful photo. It's unfortunate, as silent Catharus
thrushes are extremely difficult to ID, but we feel confident that it was a
Veery.

It does not seem like appropriate breeding habitat for the species, but
perhaps it is an over summering individual. We did not try playback to lure
it in, but it responded to pishing. Many Swainson's Thrushes were also in
the vicinity, including a juvenile.

Are there any verified Western Oregon records? I know of sight records from
Curry, Benton, Tillamook, Multnomah, and perhaps elsewhere. Any insight
would be appreciated.

Good birding,
Adrian

Join us on Facebook!