Date: 7/5/17 8:21 am
From: Mike Patterson <celata...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Townsend's Warblers in the Oregon Coast Range
I would not be so bold as to speak for the entire Coast Range, but I can
say that in the last 30 years...

that's right, I moved to Astoria in 1987.

...in the last 30 years I have chased many claims of summering
Townsend's Warblers between Pacific Co and TillamooK Co. I have never
been able to verify any because all the (mostly) Hermit Warblers were
making far too much noise and doing so with a reckless disregard for
what the tapes, CD's and smartphone apps would have us believe Hermit
Warblers are supposed to sound like.

...and if they're not Hermits, they are Black-throated Gray Warblers...

I have done the ground work using tape play-back and/or diligent
chasing. No Townsend's.

The last of the Townsend's Warblers usually clear out by the end of May
and do not re-appear until August.

So...

Listing Hermit Warbler OR Black-throated Gray OR Hermit/BTYW would be
reasonable for ebirders, but throwing Townsend's into the mix muddies
the waters unnecessarily. I would argue that if a birder is that unsure
about what they are hearing they might want to consider warbler sp. (or
just pretend like they didn't hear the thing).

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR

Join us on Facebook!