Date: 7/5/17 3:26 am
From: Brendyn Baptiste <000000c0e1e11ab7-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Independence Day Birds--Elk County
Yesterday evening, I birder a few locations in northern Elk County and had a few surprises. First off l, at Rasselas Marsh, I saw the nesting pair of Northern Harrier both carrying food. The male was seen first carrying some kind of rodent, then the female was seen a few minutes later carrying a snake. They both noted heading into the small hemlock trees with bog-like conditions at the southern edge of the marsh. Later, along Rasselas Rd just southwest of the marsh I noticed another female Northern Harrier patrolling the fields underneath the power lines. This is very likely another individual with the possibility of there now being two pairs nesting in the area. Another highlight at Rasselas was a juvenile White-throated Sparrow at the beginning of Swamp Creek just north east of the marsh along with a Red-breasted Nuthatch.

I then headed to the Twin Lakes area of the Allegheny NF and drove along Experimental Forest Rd and 7 Mile Rd. This is the area in which I had singing Swainson's Thrushes last summer, and I was not disappointed yesterday with at least 5 singing males present with 4 of them in a hemlock ravine along Experimental Forest Rd. There were likely more Swainson's Thrushes, but I ran out of daylight. Other notables include 4 Golden-crowned Kinglets, at least 26 Hermit Thrushes, and a singing Mourning Warbler. With all of these sightings, it ended up being a pretty good Fourth of July.

Good Birding!
Brendyn Baptiste
Slippery Rock, Butler County

Join us on Facebook!