Date: 7/4/17 8:39 pm
From: Pete Sole <pete...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Big Sur Peregrines and Condors
Hi birders,

For July 4th, we partially drove HW1 in Big Sur, that iconic Californian
/ American road.

Along the way we saw three PEREGRINE FALCONS associating together. They
ganged up on Raven, and after they drove it off, seemed to be
chasing/playing with each other, although not too aggressively.

Giving an COMMON RAVEN a rough time:
http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/documentary/3_Peregrines_1_Raven_170704a.jpg

Close up of a juvenile PEREGRINE FALCON:
http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/hawks_eagles_kites/falcon_peregrine_juvi_170704a.jpg

My sense is that there were 2 juvis and 1 adult but I'm not too sure.

Near Andrew Molera we were treated to distant, but clear views of 3
soaring CALIFORNIA CONDORS. The gentleman at the state park kiosk told
us that apparently, the condors have fared well in spite of the floods,
fires and landslides seen in Big Sur these last few years.

Two distant soaring condors:
http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/hawks_eagles_kites/condor_california_170704a.jpg
http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/hawks_eagles_kites/condor_california_170704b.jpg

For those that are wondering, Big Sur was closed on the north end, about
5 miles south of Andrew Molera State Park. Unfortunately, the Ventana
Wilderness Visitor Center next to Andrew Molera, was badly flooded this
last year with 2 feet of water. They are working to reopen it, but have
not been able to open it yet.

Full ebird list from our brief stop at Andrew Molera:

Happy 4th of July,

Pete and Nancy,
Soquel, CA