Date: 7/4/17 7:26 pm
From: Shantanu Phukan <phukan...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Citizen
Yesterday, after a wait of eight months (and a residence in this country of 42 years), my citizenship application process finally wound its way to its conclusion and I was summoned for the swearing in ceremony which finalizes the process.

I racked my brains about how to make my American birth meaningful as a birder and decided that I would bird as much as possible both before and after the ceremony, and then choose from the day's list the 'citizenship-bird'. And wouldnt it be great if I could glimpse a Bald Eagle on this, of all, days?

On our drive over to Monterey for the ceremony Ray Dyer, Sharon Hull and my mother stopped for a quick scan out over Harkins Slough, and there was the Bald Eagle shining in the Live Oaks across from the Osprey-nest. For once this eagle decided to cooperate.

My life list (as an American) stands at 49 species.

Shantanu Phukan
Santa Cruz/San Jose