Date: 7/4/17 5:28 pm
From: Nathaniel Wander <nw105...>
Subject: [obol] Oaks Bottom Raptors
I believe I saw a Red-shouldered Hawk in the North Woodlands area of Oaks Bottom Monday morning: surely the right habitat for one.  The bird appeared to be carrying sticks in its claws.

A Red-tailed Hawk appears to have nested in a grove at the southwest corner of the pond.  We saw an adult circling and heard begging cries from within the grove.  Would this indicate juveniles in the nest or do females also cry to be fed by males?  The latter is the case with nesting Snail Kites, the raptor species whose nest habits I am most familiar with at this time.
At least three calling Osprey circled over the river east of the pond.
Nathaniel WanderPortland, OR
"Don't work towards freedom.  Make the work the freedom."

Join us on Facebook!