Date: 7/4/17 5:24 pm
From: Lizz Morris <lizzm93...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Middle Fork Savannah
Good evening

After taking a long walk on path to the south at Middle Fork this afternoon we were heading back to the parking lot when Shawn noticed some birds in a smaller tree top, a group of birds we had not seen before. After getting a decent look before 3 of the original 5 took off we both ID them as European Gold Finches. A week this Sunday past, we ran into Jeff S at Almond Marsh and had a discussion on this bird, now a week later we see them at Middle Fork. I can not say for sure but I also saw from behind a dark winged bird with white spots on the wings going after the local kestrel, as if it were chasing it away from a nest? (Same size as the birds we had just been watching) This all was happening in the area just to the right of the path from the parking lot. We had seen the original group just to the south on main path, I have not read that this bird has been seen out at Middle Fork. Other highlights include watching a Great Crested Flycatcher feed it’s young, same goes for the Orchard Oriole family. Watched a Yellow Warbler Juvie making its way in a tree, just starting to get his yellow on! This was a lifer for both of us, here’s hoping they are nesting at Middle Fork, we never did see any Bob-O Links ……

Stay safe tonight

Lizz Morris
Lake County

Join us on Facebook!