Date: 7/4/17 4:09 pm
From: Barbara Combs <bcombs232...>
Subject: [obol] American Crow calls
I have been puzzling over a bird call I have been hearing in my neighborhood for several days now. It consists of two somewhat lazily delivered and very soft call notes, followed by about five quicker notes that sound like the throaty call of an American Crow. In the absence of the first two notes, I would have called this bird an American Crow. The first two notes are G sharp, with the tone quality of a hen quietly clucking in a barnyard. They were very soft and gentle notes, not like the raucous-sounding notes I usually associate with a crow. I do not recall having heard a crow deliver notes like that.

I heard the call again today, and used my keyboard while the bird was calling to nail down the exact pitch. I found two American Crows in the tree the calls came from. They were pulling lichen off the branches of the tree.

I turned to Xeno Canto to see if I could find something similar. I found a recording of an American Crow from Juanita Beach State Park, Washington (XC92055) that had a similar call in its repertoire, though it was using two different pitches for the hen-like notes.

So, I concluded that the calling bird has been an American Crow all along, just using a variation in its repertoire. Perhaps this observation will help someone else who is hearing an odd sound made by a crow.

Barbara Combs
Lane County, OregonPOST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!