Date: 7/4/17 9:44 am
From: Gmail <butchchq8...>
Subject: Re: Big Day(s) donation to the Arkansas Audubon Society Trust
Barry,

Thank you for mentioning this. And thank you Leif for contributing!

My own donation went to Kim Smith's grad student's research funds to help Mitchell and Alyssa fund their projects.

Since the announcement of the Big Day Challenge, I went ahead and purchased BigDayChallenge .com and .org hoping that someone might eventually step up and help create a website that will facilitate these donations. Maybe one day, eh?

Thanks again to everyone who found this to be a worthwhile activity and cause. I am already looking forward to next year!

Butch Tetzlaff
Bentonville

> On Jul 3, 2017, at 23:32, Barry Haas <bhaas...> wrote:
>
> Dear ARBIRDers,
>
> It was a pleasant surprise to receive a pledged donation from Leif Anderson to the Arkansas Audubon Society Trust for his Big Day. Actually, Leif did four Big Days totaling 535 species with a high of 145 species in one county. I think it was Butch Tetzlaff who suggested a challenge whereby birders would pledge to donate a set amount to a bird-related organization for each species ID'd on their Big Day.
>
> Leif went above and beyond with his four days of Big Day birding. His pledge of $0.20/species, which he originally estimated would come to about $75, penciled out to $107 when all was said and done. Leif's donation was added to the Trust's Endowment-Memorial Fund which has a goal of $200,000 by the Trust's 50th anniversary in 2022. Leif's donation brings the Endowment-Memorial Fund total to $157,993.93.
>
> The purpose of the Trust is "for charitable, scientific, public safety, literary, or educational purposes, or for the preservation and conservation of the wildlife, plant life,
> forests, wetlands, and all natural resources, within the United States or any of its possessions." Recent research grants have funded some fascinating work on a variety of mostly avian species. Some of the grant recipients have given presentations at Arkansas Audubon Society meetings that have been both fascinating and informative.
>
> Thanks for your continued avian-related efforts, Leif, and your generous donation to the Trust.
>
> Anybody else make a pledge and follow through on it? I'd be interested to know.
>
> Sincerely,
> Barry Haas
> AAS Trust Treasurer

Join us on Facebook!