Date: 7/4/17 8:23 am
From: Eric Secker <esecker...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Carpentersville Area - American Redstarts
This summer I have had nine AMERICAN REDSTARTS along the river including
five between Jack Hill Park near South St. and the OTTO factory plus four
more along stretches of Carpentersville Dam F.P.

There have also been at least six more birds at Raceway Woods F.P.

In past years I have also had up to 5 or 6 at Fox River Shores F.P.

This is one of the biggest concentrations of these birds I've seen in N.E.
Illinois. If the birds from last year are still present all told there may
be up to 20+ singing males in this relatively small area near the Fox River.

Other good breeders have included Red-headed Woodpeckers along the river by
OTTO Park and Broad-winged Hawks which return every year to breed in Fox
River Shores F.P.

Common Nighthawks also have returned to their usual areas by Springhill
Mall (at least two pairs) and a third pair west of Rt. 31 just north of
I-90 in an industrial area as well as one or two potential additional pairs
in downtown Dundee though I haven't confirmed for sure those ones aren't
wandering from the mall.

Eric Secker
West Dundee, Kane Co.

Posted by: Eric Secker <esecker...>