Date: 7/3/17 6:44 pm
From: Walter Marcisz <wmarcisz...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Hegewisch Marsh breeding birds (7-3-17)
I birded Hegewisch Marsh on Chicago’s southeast side from 10:00 am–12:30 pm on Monday (3 July 2017). Breeding birds were in evidence for the most part. I found at least two YELLOW WARBLER family groups, and I was able to get decent photos of one of the families (adult female attending young). The active RED-TAILED HAWK nest at Hegewisch Marsh evidently fledged at least one young – an agitated adult valiantly defended a fledged juvenile (with flight feathers still growing in) during my visit. Various marsh birds were observed during my visit- a COMMON GALLINULE called a couple of times (I was never able to see the bird), but I had good views of an adult PIED-BILLED GREBE (surprisingly, no young yet). A summering HOODED MERGANSER was also present. Waterfowl with obvious nesting success included the MUTE SWAN pair with at least 3 large gray downy young, and an adult female MALLARD with a family of 8 juveniles.

Female Yellow Warbler attending young:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/38600858@N06/35665001526/in/dateposted-public/

Red-tailed Hawk (juvenile):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/38600858@N06/35573424111/in/dateposted-public/