Date: 7/3/17 6:17 pm
From: Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr...>
Subject: [obol] Nesting Gray Catbird - Deschutes County
The Gray Catbird is no longer a nemesis species for me due (with thanks) to
the folks who scouted Lake Creek Lodge in advance of the Dean Hale
Woodpecker Festival that is held the first week of June each year in
Sisters, Oregon.

I checked-in at the office the first morning when they opened at 8:00 am
and was given permission to bird the entire grounds.

Jill's family has a long history of vacationing at Lake Creek Lodge. Her
mother Molly first visited the lodge during the summer of 1946 when she was
13 years-old. I hope Molly enjoys this post as much as I've enjoyed my
first experience of birding there.

On June 4th, the Catbirds were observed carrying nesting material, which
suggests the chicks could fledge any day now. I have not been able to hear
the chicks begging, but the adults keep busy bringing food to the nest
about every 15 minutes, sometimes more frequently. The adults are also
very vocal at times which as been a real treat, and they appear almost
obvious to people - even the ones who were playing in the creek just a few
meters away from the nest.

http://www.jack-n-jill.net/blog/2017/7/lake-creek-lodge---gray-catbird

Jack Williamson
West Linn, Oregon