Date: 7/3/17 3:45 pm
From: <ericwalters7...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Ne. Lake County uncommon/rare species
Highlights from the top of the state the last two days:

IBSP North Unit:
A male Hooded Warbler was singing up a storm in the wet woods on south side of the entrance road this morning (before the entrance gate). It sang its typical breeding song, then went into a variation that had recognizable components, but if I had hear that first, I would have been alittle confused. It ultimately did return to its regular song when I came back 10 minutes later.
Also in the fields around the Hawkwatch pavilion were 2 Henslow's and a single Sedge Wren. Whip-poor-wills still singing post-sunset at the very northern side of north unit.

Zion Shiloh Park:
American Black Duck adult male continues. Has been seen more often than not, ever since the Fall of 2015. Not sure why it has stayed and none of the Mallards there appear to be hybrids, so its not like its crossbreeding.

Lyons Woods F.P.:
A Veery was singing in the Spruce woods area.

North Point Marina:
Least Sandpiper early migrant, 5 Caspian Terns and the first of year juvenile Ring-billed Gull (nearest colony is at Waukegan).

Spring Bluff F.P.:
Evening survey had one unexpected sighting among the other species. A family group of 4 Wilson's Snipe were noted, among the minimum 7 total counted here. It's not surprising they were confirmed as nesting, as snipe have been doing their aerial courtship dance here for a number of years during Spring. However, nests are nearly impossible to find, not to mention family groups.
Also present were American Woodcock, ongoing pair of Sandhill Cranes, 11 Swamp Sparrows, 11 Willow Flycatchers, 3 Marsh Wren and a female Robin putting the finishing touches on a new nest situation 7 feet up in the entrance road Bur Oak tree. I don't remember that species going thru another breeding cycle in the second half of Summer....

Eric Walters
Grandview, MO/Zion, IL

Join us on Facebook!