Date: 7/3/17 2:15 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk
Although today wasn't the holiday, we drew 35 birders to the Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk.  It makes one wonder who was minding the store.  We tallied 50 species with the same Yellow-crowned Night Heron we had last week still hanging around.  A lone Orchard Oriole made a couple of our gang happy, and the full compliment of summer Woodpeckers filled out the list.
Canada Goose  15
Wood Duck  14
Mallard  4
Great Blue Heron  8
Great Egret  1
Green Heron  9
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron  1
Osprey  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  4
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  4
Barred Owl  1
Chimney Swift  3
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  2
Red-headed Woodpecker  3
Red-bellied Woodpecker  5
Downy Woodpecker  4
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Eastern Wood-Pewee  5
Acadian Flycatcher  6
Eastern Phoebe  5
Great Crested Flycatcher  5
Eastern Kingbird  7
Red-eyed Vireo  5
American Crow  1
Fish Crow  2
crow sp.  2
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  2
Tree Swallow  10
Barn Swallow  7
Carolina Chickadee  12
Tufted Titmouse  6
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Carolina Wren  10
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  3
Eastern Bluebird  6
American Robin  26
Gray Catbird  2
Prothonotary Warbler  3
Common Yellowthroat  6
Eastern Towhee  2
Northern Cardinal  8
Indigo Bunting  3
Red-winged Blackbird  25
Common Grackle  15
Orchard Oriole  1
American Goldfinch  10
House Sparrow  2

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 7AM (8AM from November through March), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry GlasgowFriends of Huntley Meadows Park