Date: 7/3/17 1:30 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Local Shorebird Search Shot Down By High Water Monday 7-3-17
Hello Bird People,

As usual I decided to follow a long trip day (Havana/Emiquon) with a
close to home day as I felt I could use a day without getting up early
& the Prius C needed a rest as well after all the work it had to do
yesterday. So both the car & I took it easy today.

Wanted to make survey #2 visits to 4 places I covered last week but I
was done in by higher water than I expected based on recent rains. At
the Chicago Botanic Garden some mud flats remain but not much. At both
Techny Basin & Techny Basin North NO mud flats are left & so no
shorebirds either. At Air Station Prairie the water is higher but some
mud areas continue although not much & again shorebirds are few & only
of the nesting variety.

WARNING!

On 2 of my last 3 visits to Techny North (including today) I have
found 1 tick hitchhiker so keep that in mind if you plan to visit
after the water level drops, which will take probably a week or so.

So to keep a short story short here are a few highlights of a not very
productive day:

Chicago Botanic Garden (8-10 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (2 fly-bys), Great Egret (1) & BLACK CROWNED NIGHT
HERON (1-AD fly-by)
The only shorebirds were Killdeer (6) & Spotted Sandpiper (2) &
Caspian Terns are up to 5 adults.
Interesting land birds included Cedar Waxwings (2 or 3) & the Purple
Martin houses on both the east & west sides had about a total of 20
Martins. The adult Bald Eagle did NOT visit the backwater area today.

Techny North is flooded!

Only birds here were one Great Blue Heron, 6 Mallards, 4 Barn Swallows
& a singing Diccissel on the golf course hill. Also 1 female Wood Duck
with 5 young.

Techny Basin Proper

The small pond is flooded & the stream has no mud edges for
shorebirds. Along the stream were 2 Great Blue Herons, one Great Egret
& 19 Mallards. The actual basin itself has doubled in size & extends
well to the north of it's normal size.

Air Station Prairie

Mallard (1-F), Killdeer (5), Spotted Sandpiper (1) along with Rough
Winged (1), Tree & Barn Swallows. One adult Red Tailed Hawk was
hunting overhead.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the adult Black Crowned Night Heron even if it did
not stop to visit & I guess
Runner-Up will go to the growing number of Caspian Terns. Those
numbers should continue to increase & later the adults will bring the
young ones along for "on the job training".

Al Stokie
In Cook County with few birds to look at today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: