Date: 7/3/17 11:50 am
From: <obol-bounce...>
Subject: [obol] Powell Butte Park lbj
I think with the variability in plumage and the harsh lighting it's
probably not a definite. I put up some more pics on flckr. I'm leaning
towards Savannah because it's likely and I've seen some very similar photos
in guides and input from other birders. There are some pics where a
juvenile sasp does lack yellow in the supercilium/lores in association with
adults although those photos could be suffering the same conditions as mine.
But... I still think there is an opening for others. I did get the most
votes for juvenile Brewer's and there have been reports of them in the
county earlier this year. I was at first leaning towards (wanting it to be)
Vespers but I guess juveniles have the white in the tail feathers so I
think we can eliminate that (womp womp).

It was a good exercise for me looking at median lines in the crest etc!
Thanks again for all the suggestions and help!

Justin

On Jul 2, 2017 10:32 PM, "Nathaniel Wander" <nathaniel_wander...>
wrote:

That Powell Butte sparrow is pretty pale or washed out by bright light in
the photo. Maybe there's little yellow in its face, or it's washed out.
By conformation and head pattern, it otherwise looks pretty good for a
Savannah Sparrow.

Nathaniel Wander
Portland, OR

"Don't work towards freedom. Make the work the freedom."

Join us on Facebook!