Date: 7/3/17 9:18 am
From: 'Mcmullen, Keith A CIV USARMY CEMVS (US)' <Keith.A.Mcmullen...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: RE: Re: IBET King Rail @ Bartel Grassland 7-2-17 (No sighting)
Steve,

All valid points and thanks for sharing. I know you know, we can e-mail, call, write, shout, however we wish to communicate and many folks still won't get it. I know the T & E species in Illinois as part of my job as well, but despite that, many of those on the list are safely observed and even photographed by many birders without causing any harm. For example, I don't plan on NOT telling people where LITTLE BLUE HERONS and SNOWY EGRETS are foraging. I really don't have any intel on where they are nesting and IF I did, yes, I would not post the location of the nests.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you've stated, I'm just stating that if ALL information about the location of these T & E species in Illinois is withheld then how would researchers and avid birders like you and I even know about them? Some information shouldn't be shared with some people, but the great thing about IBET, eBIRD, and IBF (when we had it) is that news and information about the birds we all love is being shared by the community for all of us to enjoy, no matter what our purpose. The sighting information, the photographs, all of that, is essential to eBIRD data, to seasonal reports in Meadowlark (plug for IOS!) and North American Birds (plug for ABA)!

If we all practice good ethics in our birding endeavors, our example, hopefully, is emulated in the newer generation of birders we lead. That's the best we can hope for!

I'm just curious if we can expect an "after-the-fact" story about the rarity in Chicago? I would love to hear more about it.

Good birdings,

Keith McMullen
O'Fallon, IL
<Warbler7...>