Date: 7/2/17 10:02 pm
From: Range Bayer <range.bayer...>
Subject: [obol] +Re: Breeding Green-winged Teal in Lincoln County
Hi Chris,

Great find! I can't be sure, but I think this is their first documented
actual nesting in Lincoln County.

The 1995-1999 Breeding Bird Atlas Project has a Green-winged Teal map on p.
106 of Birds of Oregon: a General Reference (BOGR). I have a copy of the
CD, which is also available for purchase at
http://www.orbirds.org/ofobookstore.html that has considerably more
information about this than BOGR. I was unable to open the CD through
Google Chrome but I was able to open it through the FireFox browser (the CD
was originally designed to be opened with the Netscape and Internet
Explorer browsers). Below are two screenshots of GW Teal nesting and
Hexagon 27176 from the CD

Green-winged Teal has "Probable" nesting in Lincoln County for Hexagon
27176 that includes Newport-Toledo see images below. The only field
observation in Hexagon 27176 for this was "27176 P 06 06 96 Don Munson."
For "Probable" nesting, the "P" code is "*P* At least one pair (adult
male and female) seen during the usual breeding season." This could have
just been a late pair passing through.

[image: Inline image 1]

[image: Inline image 2]

Range Bayer, Newport, Oregon.

On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 7:00 PM, Christopher Hinkle <
<christopher.hinkle2...> wrote:

> This will be of interest to few, but surprised us. This morning Will
> Wright and I found two broods of Green-winged Teal at Klickitat Lake in the
> coast range of Lincoln County. The habitat is good for breeding
> Green-winged Teal – a pond in succession, soon to be a meadow, stuffed with
> logs, grassy mounds, and rotted stumps. The location is surprising, though:
> isolated by miles of forest, and in Lincoln County. I would not be
> surprised if it was the first breeding record for the county; maybe someone
> more informed can chime in.

> Cheers,
>

> Chris Hinkle

Join us on Facebook!