Date: 7/2/17 6:49 pm
From: DAVID KOCH <davilene...>
Subject: Grosbeak comments, Koch property, Northampton County
The rose-breasted grosbeak parade to my feeders continues unabated.  I am now beginning to see/hear young, some with adults and some alone. But the last two days were interesting in that several individuals, both adults and juveniles, were eating common milkweed blossoms on plants near the feeders.  I've seen them eat jewelweed blossoms in past years, but I presumed that's was so that the blossom would explode the seeds into their mouths. But I didn't think that was the case with the milkweeds so I did some research and found that they like to eat blossoms. You learn something every day. Other birds of note here recently include a very vocal yellow-billed cuckoo in the front yard, young hummingbirds both chasing and being chased by adults, a red-eyed vireo near the creek, cedar waxwings, indigo buntings, juvenile brown thrashers, Baltimore and orchard orioles (adults and young of both species), several willow flycatchers, yellow warblers, an eastern kingbird nesting in a crabapple tree, and more catbirds and song sparrows that I care to count.   Arlene Koch Easton, PA Northampton County <davilene...>

Join us on Facebook!