Date: 7/2/17 4:33 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Havana Electrical Substation & Emiquon North & South Globe Areas Sunday 7-2-17
Hello Bird People,

Long day's birding equals a short report at least by my standards.
Went with Andy Sigler & Bob Erickson & Bob & I had 3 targets which
were Hudsonian Godwit, Bobwhite & Scissor Tailed Flycatcher. Andy was
only interested in the Godwit. All 3 were seen almost every day
through June 30th but I saw on ebird that the Scissor Tailed Fly was
not reported on July 1st. Turns out we did not find it either although
we looked for quite a while both before & after lunch as did another
birder who, looking at ebird reports, was probably Susan Zelek who
also joined us at North Globe & got to view the Godwit through my
scope as her scope is not feeling well.

Here are some highlights from the substation & along the road.

Northern Bobwhite (1 seen & 3 more heard)
Yellow Billed Cuckoo (1)
Eastern (2) & WESTERN (2) Kingbirds
Northern Mockingbird (1 doing 1st class versions of a Bobwhite & a Blue Jay)
Blue Grosbeak (1 singing but not seen)
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (2)

Emiquon North Globe (9:25-10 a.m.)

Highlights included White Pelican (97), AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER (1),
Black Necked Stilt (15), Greater Yellowlegs (1) & the continuing
HUDSONIAN GODWIT, nice of it to stay!

Emiquon South Globe (10-11 a.m.)

Lots of shorebirds here but most were too far to deal with especially
with the "heat wave" situation.
Only highlights here were Pelicans (2), more Black Necked Stilts & 4
Forster's Terns with their black masks. Too bad we could not see the
shorebirds any better than we could.

Drove the baby Prius C today but it "only" managed 51 mpg as it
doesn't do as well as normal when it's driven at 70 mph or more. It
prefers 55-60 mph when it gives 60 or more mpg. I should mention that
gas cost $1.979 per gallon at all the Havana gas stations which was
the 1st time in a long time I bought gas for under $2 per gallon.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Hudsonian Godwit & Runners-Up to all those fine
looking Black Necked Stilts & the 1 Bobwhite we saw although not for
long.

Entertainer Of The Day to the wildly singing Mockingbird.

Al Stokie
In Mason & Fulton Co's today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: