Date: 7/2/17 11:34 am
From: Range Bayer <range.bayer...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: Yaquina Head Seabird Nesting Update--July 2
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Suryan, Robert Michael <rob.suryan...>
Date: Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 10:54 AM
Subject: Yaquina Head seabird update #2
To: [many]

Hello again,

Update # 2. The OSU Seabird Oceanography Lab
[http://hmsc.oregonstate.edu/research-labs/seabird-oceanography-lab]
continues to monitor the Common Murre and Cormorant reproductive plots
for the past few weeks.

We are still seeing disturbances caused by eagles, with as many as 4
adults and 3 sub-adults at once on Colony Rock. Colony Rock and Flat
Top Rock are still devoid of eggs in our plots (and likely
throughout). On our last update, we were monitoring 2 nesting pairs on
Lower Colony Rock (the only location where murre chicks were fledged
the past two years). That number increased to 43 pairs with eggs! We
have never seen so many murre eggs on this small rock.
BUT….unfortunately, as of June 30th, all of those eggs were gone. No
major disturbances to Lower Colony rock were noted during observation
hours that could explain this. So, either disturbances occurred
outside of monitoring hours, or murres have little incentive to
maintain incubation this year (due to food limitations), or both. The
rocks have been pretty devoid of murres, but we are hoping they return
a bit later in July like they did last year, so that we can obtain
prey identification photos.

All three murres that we are still tracking went to Washington. One
bird in the attached map, spent some time off the Columbia River, then
the Salish Sea/San Juan Islands, returned to Yaquina Head, and now is
off northern Vancouver Island! They are spending very little time in
waters off Oregon.

At least the cormorants are still hanging in there! We are monitoring
84 Brandt’s and 43 Pelagic cormorant nests. There are a total of 60
Brandt’s eggs and 79 Pelagic eggs, in addition to 20 Brandt’s chicks!
We will continue to add eggs and chicks as the season progresses.

To end with a bit more positive news, the Pigeon Guillemot pair in the
nest box at the OSU ship operations dock now have a chick!
http://webcam.oregonstate.edu/pigu [This is exciting to view! On
7/2/2017 at 11:15 AM,
1) in the top menubar of the image when click "Daily Time Lapse" can
choose "2017-07-01.mp4" and it plays for 50 seconds, but there are
multiple images for each second, so pausing as fast as one can can
help slow the action down to see images that if let run are way too
fast to see. Range saw chick as part of images at 00:12, see parent
trying to feed fish to chick as part of images at 00:24. The key is
to pause repeatedly and quickly because with 1 second, there are
multiple images. Range did not look on "Daily Time Lapses" to see
when the chick first hatched.
2) when the webcam is accessed, it shows a still image at the time of
accessing the page, but when the Play button on the lower left corner
of the image frame, it starts playing an archived clip from June 29,
"2017-06-29 15:50:17" not live imagery from July 2 when I accessed
it. Range is forwarding this issue to Rob Suryan.]

Sincerely,
Isabel Justiniano, Environment for the Americas summer intern.
Stephanie Loredo
Jane Dolliver
Jess Porquez
Ana Medina Roman