Date: 7/1/17 5:35 pm
From: Shea Tiller <sheagordontiller...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] RFI southeast NJ early August
Hello, all. I am a birder from central Virginia who will be in Cape May for
a couple of days in the second week of August. I am willing to drive to
other areas along the coast outside of Cape May if it is nearly guaranteed
to be worth it. While I know it is hard to recommend locations this early
before migrants and fall rarities show up, I would like some guidance as to
what exact locations tend to be best in early August, and specific
directions and access logistics at these locations. My target list is at
the end of this message.

I have heard in particular about the Glades Wildlife Refuge, and I found a
very early morning August report of whip-poor-wills. Will they be still
singing through the second week of August? If so, what are the best
specific spots to listen at the refuge?

I am also wondering about the following two specific trips: (1) Is it worth
losing time driving to Jamaica Bay NWR? (2) What birds can be seen from the
Cape May-Lewes ferry?

Please also let me know if any birds are found best or only at a certain
time of day or are visible only at a certain tide stage.

Thank you for your help!

Great birding,

Shea Tiller

TARGET LIST

Clapper Rail

American Avocet

American Oystercatcher

Black-bellied Plover (American golden won't be moving through yet, right?)

Piping Plover

Migratory sandpipers

Black Tern

Black Skimmer