Date: 7/1/17 4:56 pm
From: John Dongas <madzosiii...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET King Rail and Am Bittern

Sent from my iPhone
Thanks to blogs by Al Stokie and others my wife and I got very good looks and some nice video of the King Rail at Goose Lake Prairie today. We sat by the bench that overlooks the broken causeway pond. After five minutes the Rail could be seen along the opposite shore feeding in the pond close to the edge and in the adjacent grasses. He went in and out of the grass frequently. We observed for about 45 minutes and just as we were getting ready to leave, packing away the scope and all the lately sighted American Bittern flew across our view and landed in the reeds out of sight. My nemesis bird!! My only other possible sighting of this species was last year at Orland Grasslands. After much consideration I decided I couldn't count it because the look was too far and brief to be sure but today was definite. Two lifers in one day. That surely doesn't happen often this close to home anymore. Anyway thanks again to Al for telling me where to look. There were several singing Henslow's Sparrows, Grasshopper Sparrows, Dickcissel, and sedge wrens.

Posted by: John Dongas <madzosiii...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: