Date: 7/1/17 1:21 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET A Few DeKalb & Kane County Stops Saturday 7-1-17
Hello Bird People,

Along with Bob Erickson I made a few stops in the above mentioned 2
Co's but I'll only report on 2 locations which are Afton F.P. in
DeKalb Co & the undeveloped Stonegate subdivision in northern Kane Co.

Afton F.P. (8-9:30 a.m.)

Ended up staying here longer than expected as we heard a Western
Meadowlark singing but could not see it. Determined to see it we kept
looking, then looked for shorebirds & finally went back to looking &
listening for the Meadowlark. But our hard work did not pay off as we
never heard & saw it after the 1st singing we heard.

Great Blue Heron (1 or 2)
Mallard (2)
BALD EAGLE (1-AD in the shorebird area)
Killdeer (8)
Least Sandpiper (9-10)
Mourning Dove (4)
Chimney Swift (2 hunting)
Willow Flycatcher (heard 1)
Eastern Kingbird (2)
Barn (4) & Cliff (1) Swallows
Crow (2)
Horned Lark (2)
Robin (10)
Common Yellowthroat (5)
Cardinal (heard 1)
Dickcissel (5-6)
Song Sparrow (6)
Red Wings (12), Grackles (2) & Cowbirds (4)
Eastern Meadowlark (3)
WESTERN MEADOWLARK (heard 1)
House Finch (1-PR)
Goldfinch (2-3)

Stonegate Subdivision (Undeveloped) Near Hampshire/Kane Co. (10:45-11 a.m.)

Since Bob was still in need of a seen Western Meadowlark for his year
list I thought we'd try here as I had one here back in early March.
Drove around a bit but no Meadowlarks of any kind were singing. Then
we saw a Meadowlark fly into a tree with few leaves & as we went
toward it it began to sing loudly & it was a WESTERN MEADOWLARK after
all. Had good looks so "all's well, ends well". Only other singing
birds here were Dickcissels, Common Yellowthroats & Song Sparows & a
few Barn Swallows were flying around. If they ever fill up this place
with houses we will lose a good spot for Western Meadowlarks. Hope
that doesn't happen for a while.

Bird-Of-The-Day will be the well seen Kane Co Western Meadowlark &
Runner-Up to the adult Bald Eagle at Afton.

Al Stokie
In Dekalb Co & briefly in Kane Co today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: