Date: 7/1/17 8:16 am
From: RIch Turk <turkrich...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [Arlington Birds] Kingbird and Chicks, Upper Mystic Lake 6/29/17 [1 Attachment]
Thanks for the post Linda, good to see you on Thurs.

After Linda left I reviewed my images in camera and also wondered about the
mysterious reddish patch on the adult kingbird's throat. Is it a breeding
patch? It looked like an injury to me the way the feathers were messed up.
See attached photo.

I went to the nest early this morning (Sat.)and ran into Chris and Jim with
their cameras. I showed them the images and they surmised that the
coloring was from berries that the bird may have eaten. Come to think of
it, the color reminded me of red wine! Specifically Manischewitz
Loganberry....which my family swilled down on Passover.

Anyway, neither adult bird showed any red coloring this morning. While
we were there the 2 of the 3 young birds fledged, the 3rd was still in the
nest, being attended to when I left.

Rgds
Rich

--