Date: 6/30/17 12:30 pm
From: Linda Leavens <leavens4209...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Sauvie Island Red-eyed Vireo and Bank Swallows (Columbia County)
I was out there last Thursday the 22nd and I saw the Bank Swallows go in 3 different nest holes. They did not do it frequently, but a few times in the half hour I was there. Last year I observed 2 young in a nest hole where the outer portion of the nest had sluffed off. They looked very close to fledging and were being fed by an adult. I didn’t keep a note but I feel it was late in July. The bank this year is just slightly further north than last year.

Linda Leavens
> On Jun 28, 2017, at 4:55 PM, Andy Frank <andydfrank...> wrote:
>
> For at least the 3rd consecutive year RED-EYED VIREOS are again along the Warrior Point Trail located at the end of Reeder Road on Sauvie Island in Columbia County. 2 birds were singing along the trail within 0.5 miles of the parking lot.
>
> Seeing the swallows there was an interesting experience. A lure of the place is that BANK SWALLOWS were found to have a small colony there 2 years ago. The first year, 2015, they were seen using the nests. Last year there were less birds, and none were going to the nest holes. The nest holes in the sandy bank are still there, and when I arrived about 10AM there were a few Barn Swallows flying near the parking area, but no swallows at all near the sand bank. When I was leaving, Cliff, Tree and a few Northern Rough-wingeds showed up, and then Nick Mrvelj arrived. We briefly spoke and I then biked off and shortly after received a text from Nick that 3 Bank Swallows had showed up, so I turned around and was able to see one flying around. As with last year, neither of us saw any of the Bank Swallows going to the nest holes, which has me wondering if there's another bank further north obscured from view where they are nesting.
>
> Andy Frank

Join us on Facebook!