Date: 6/30/17 11:28 am
From: Anthony Phillips <aphillips...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET Song sung today in Millennium Park
Thank you, David and Isoo, for confirming the Blackpoll Warbler in
Millennium Park. As he is continuing to sing I wonder if there is a female
and that they are breeding? Or is he a bachelor calling out in vain?
According to the maps I've seen, he should, by now, be some 500 miles to
the north in the boreal forest established in breeding.

Tony Phillips
Professor Emeritus
Department of Painting & Drawing
School of the Art Institute of Chicago
807 West 16th Street
Chicago, IL 60608-2222
(312)733-0581; cell (312)375-9315
<aphillips...>
http://www.tonyphillipsart.com

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 12:05 PM, David Johnson <djohnsoda...>
wrote:

> Fellow Ibeters--
>
> I heard and observed the same Blackpoll Warbler in Millennium Park at the
> "Bean" and Madison St, 30 June 2017 8:15 - 8:20 am (this morning).
>
> David B Johnson
> NE IL
> <djohnsoda...>
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jun 29, 2017, at 9:45 PM, Anthony Phillips <aphillips...>
> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...> wrote:
>

> Thanks, Vicky. For years Chippy's lived in my yard. I've heard them fast
> and I've heard them slow, but never like this one.....rather much like the
> many Blackpolls I have seen and heard over the years I wonder if he bumped
> his head on a nearby tower in migration and called off the trip?
>
> Tony
>
> Tony Phillips
> <aphillips...>
>

> On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 9:30 PM, Vicky Sroczynski <vsroczynski...>
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi Tony, there is a slow-pulse version of a Chipping Sparrow's song,
>> which could be what you heard. I don't have experience with dispersal
>> patterns of Pine Warblers or Wormies in Grant Park, but maybe some other
>> birders will chime in.
>>
>> Vicky
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Jun 29, 2017, at 9:16 PM, Anthony Phillips <aphillips...>
>> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...> wrote:
>>

>> At noon today I walked into Millennium Park by the entrance at Michigan
>> Ave and Washington St. About 60 feet in from the street, high in the row
>> of modest trees that line the south of the walkway, north of what in the
>> winter is the skating rink. I heard the Johnny-one-note, slowly modulated *seep,
>> seep, seep, seep, seep, seep, seep, seep *of what, 5 weeks ago, I would
>> have assumed was a* Blackpoll Warbler*. I hung out for 10 minutes,
>> trying to see it as the singing continued. I saw it move once or twice,
>> but without binoculars, I could not visually I.D. it. I went home and
>> listened to The Blackpolls on my Sibley's app and they were all like the
>> song I heard in the Park. What other johnny-one-notes could it have been?
>> Certainly not a Chipping Sparrow, Pine or Worm-eating Warbler.
>> What else could it be?
>>

>> Tony Phillips
>> Chicago, IL 60608-2222
>> <aphillips...>