Date: 6/30/17 10:18 am
From: Jonah Svensson <oakenshield0522...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Wilder Ranch Sound Pollution (June 29)
While we were birding at Wilder Ranch State Park yesterday (Old Cove
Landing Trail), there were numerous speakers in the farm fields that were
giving off agitated bird calls (e.g. chickadees, jays, etc.) as well as
raptor calls (e.g. kestrels, hawks, etc.). We presume they were intended to
scare off other birds from the growing crops. This seems to be a very
strange presence in a State Park area, especially in the middle of the
breeding season. Are there any measures we can take as birders to deal with
this situation? I would assume that these calls could agitate nesting birds
(there is/was an Ash-throated Flycatcher nest very close to the field) and
possibly force them to abandon their nests. Please advise!

Jonah Svensson