Date: 6/30/17 7:58 am
From: <mcvetas...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Re: Wild Turkeys in Chicago? (no sightings)
Not commenting on this sighting, but on the advance of Wild Turkeys into Cook County in general.

Over the years, there have been several sightings of individual Wild Turkeys in Cook County. These usually get dismissed by the birding community as birds of unknown provenance. That's understandable. Group sightings, however, are more difficult to deny in my opinion.

In September 2014, Lisa Rest reported a small group of Turkeys in Lyons along the Des Plaines River. I followed up on that sightings and observed 5 turkeys (or more - they quickly scurried out of view) at Chicago Portage Woods Forest Preserve. Those birds easily could have made their way up the canal from Will County. To be honest, I am a bit surprised that there are not more frequent sightings in Palos.

This year in April 2017, Scott Gustafson reported four turkeys at Plum Creek Forest Preserve in extreme SE Cook County. These birds could have easily dispersed again from Will County where they are resident.

Cook County birders looking to add this to their county lists should check areas like this.

Matthew Cvetas
Evanston, IL

Join us on Facebook!