Date: 6/29/17 3:13 pm
From: 'Bailey, Steven D' <sdbailey...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET Unknown bird song/call
Having conducted many hundreds of bird surveys for my job over 35+ years, I can safely say that the bird recorded in Champaign-Urbana was definitely NOT a Carolina Wren or a Baltimore Oriole. My opinion was going to be to say that the bird making the call was probably an escaped cage bird, though the call that Adam posted, did sound fairly similar to the ending couple of notes of the Champaign song. However, having lived in and birded the Champaign area for decades, I also know that though present in the area, Tufted Titmice are exceptionally rare in the area. Our party was often the only ones to turn up a Tufted Titmouse on the Christmas Bird Count there over the years... usually just one but occasionally two birds. Interestingly, just 30 miles down the road in Vermilion County, Tufted Titmice are quite common. It is an interesting anomaly in east Central Illinois. Good birding.

Steve Bailey
Mundelein
<sdbailey...>

Join us on Facebook!