Date: 6/29/17 11:25 am
From: 'Carolyn A. Marsh' <cmarshbird...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Victory for Migratory Birds on Lake Erie!
Hi everyone,

This is from Michael Hutchins, Ph.D. Director, Bird Smart Wind Energy
Campaign, American Bird Conservancy

[<info...>]

We just scored a huge win for migratory birds.

The Ohio Air National Guard (ANG) announced this morning that it has halted
plans to install a large turbine at its Camp Perry facility near Lake Erie
that would have threatened migratory birds, including Endangered species
such as Kirtland's Warbler, in one of the most important migratory corridors
in the country.

ANG has made the right decision for birds. And our five-year fight to defeat
this dangerous project is over because you and other ABC supporters stood
with us. We're also indebted to the hard work and leadership of our Ohio
partner Black Swamp Bird Observatory.

ABC supports wind energy, but we won't stand by when irresponsibly placed
turbines endanger America's birds.

Despite this great step forward, threats from wind turbines in the Great
Lakes region aren't going away. The area has become a prime target for wind
developers, and hundreds-if not thousands-of new turbines have been
proposed.

Take <http://support.abcbirds.org/site/R?i=VSIoomciQJmBrglpna4aqg> the next
step for migratory birds and tell wildlife agencies and lawmakers to keep
wind turbines out of the Great Lakes and away from their shores!

The vital importance of Great Lakes shorelines for birds was recently
confirmed by advanced radar studies, which documented vast numbers of birds
and bats flying through these areas at heights that would place them within
the deadly rotor-sweep of wind turbines.

Great Lakes shorelines should not be a gauntlet for migrating birds. But
pressure to develop these sensitive areas is intensifying rapidly, and we
need to act now if we want them to continue providing safe passage for
migratory birds.

That means sending a loud message to officials, making sure they put strong
regulations in place to keep Great Lakes waters and their shores free of
large commercial wind turbines.

Raise <http://support.abcbirds.org/site/R?i=G7wKmOSYI1oYWIr9XW8U1A> your
voice for birds: Ask wildlife agencies and elected officials to protect
migratory birds in the Great Lakes region from wind development!

Our victory at Camp Perry sends a powerful signal to wind energy companies
that we won't let the safety and survival of America's migratory birds take
a back seat to poorly-sited wind turbines.

Let's <http://support.abcbirds.org/site/R?i=8q-11HKuoAfUlsv_U_rHMA> keep
the momentum going-and make sure that all Great Lakes waters and shorelines
remain secure for migratory birds.

Thank you for standing with us!

Sincerely,

Michael Hutchins, Ph.D. Director, Bird Smart Wind Energy Campaign

Posted by Carolyn Marsh

Bistate birder

Whiting, IN

Join us on Facebook!