Date: 6/28/17 7:12 pm
From: Steve Engel <Steve.Engel...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Jackson Bottom Wetlands Preserve Update
Hello OBOLer's, it has been a while since I've sent an update. So, in case you have been wondering about coming out here, or, if you've been out here and are still wondering what the heck is going on...There is some restoration construction that is planned for this summer, most likely to begin in late July. Signs are up now indicating to expect trail closures between June and October. Details of any closed trails can be obtained at the front desk of the Education Building or look on the white board next to the main entrance for a map of closures. You can get more information about the Oak Island Marsh Restoration project here: https://www.hillsboro-oregon.gov/departments/parks-recreation/our-facilities/jackson-bottom-wetlands-preserve/the-preserve/restoration-mitigation Check out the four links at the bottom of the page - project map / information card / trail closures / osprey information. Right now all trails are open and accessible from the Education Building parking lot (not the north end parking lot). Once construction begins the trail closure maps found at this link will be in effect.

Osprey - 3 chicks are in the nest and the family is tolerating all the activity around their nest very well (we did not close the trail beneath the nest this year). We plan to have Osprey Watch volunteers on site from 10:30 am to 1:30 pm most Saturday's and Sunday's this month.

Shorebirds - with Pintail Pond nearly empty and the end of July in sight we have shorebirds! A flock of 40 mostly least with a few western sandpipers plus at least one greater yellowlegs were seen last night and today.

We hosted up to 50+ American white pelicans for almost 3 weeks in June. They spent a lot of time in pintail pond, oak island marsh and the wetlands below the Arbor Roses housing development.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions I can help with. Good birding,

Steve Engel, Nature Program Supervisor
<Steve.engel...>
503-681-6283 office phone

Join us on Facebook!