Date: 6/28/17 12:21 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Looking For Early Shorebirds While Trying To Beat The Rain Wed 6-28-17
Hello Bird People,

Some years I will find the 1st southbound shorebirds even before July
1st so I thought I'd try. Besides I wanted to check on the mud flats
before today's rains arrived in case they end up flooded. Actually did
find my 1st two migrating shorebirds but the rain arrived by 10 a.m.
putting me out of business early.

Chicago Botanic Garden (6:45-8:30 a.m.)

Only covered the backwater mud flats & did none of the wooded areas.
This will be my routine here for July & August. Mud flats look great
but only resident shorebirds here along with a VERY large friend.

Great Blue Heron (3 fly-bys)
Great Egret (2 fly-bys)
Green Heron (1 fly-by)
Canada Goose (1 but 21 more elsewhere)
Mallard (12-AD & 6 young)
BALD EAGLE (1-AD, resting on fallen branches on the mud flats but
bothered by angry Red Wings)
Killdeer (14 on the mud flats & 4 more on the lawns)
Spotted Sandpiper (2)
Herring Gull (1-AD flying by)
Caspian Tern (1 hunting)
Mourning Dove (2 fly-bys)
Eastern Kingbird (1)
Purple Martins (12 by the Martin houses)
Tree (4), Bank (1), Cliff (2) & Barn (3) Swallows
Robins (~14)
Warbling Vireo (4)
Common Yellowthroat (heard 2)
Cardinal (1-M)
Song Sparrow (3-4)
Red Wings & Grackles
Goldfinch (6)

Techny Basin North (8:55-9:30 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (1-AD)
Great Blue Heron (1)
Great Egret (2)
Canada Goose (29)
Wood Duck (15 including young)
Mallard (24 -AD & 15 young)
Killdeer (26)
Spotted Sandpiper (3-4)
LEAST SANDPIPER (1)
PECTORAL SANDPIPER (1)
Caspian Tern (3)
Mourning Dove (1)
Tree (6), Barn (2) & Rough Winged (1) Swallows
Robin (2)
Starling (1 group of 15)
DICKCISSEL (1 or 2 singing on the golf course hill)
Song Sparrow (2)
Red Wings (4-5)

One of the Caspian Terns went "crazy" suddenly taking off & attacking
the other 2 Caspian Terns until they left & then dive bombing one
Egret & then the Great Blue Heron. Then the Tern calmed down & went
back to resting on the flats like nothing had happened. Very strange
indeed!

Air Station Prairie (9:45-10:15 a.m.)

In the west pond were Mallard (4), Killdeer (11), Spotted Sandpiper
(1-AD & 2 small downy young), Tree, Barn & Rough Winged Swallows & a
loud Flicker.

In the east pond were Great Egret (1), Killdeer (1) & many Robins &
Grackles & a few Red Wings

Techny Basin South (10:30-10:40 a.m./rained out in 10 min)

Mallard (8), Killdeer (6) & Spotted Sandpiper (1) plus 1 Chimney
Swift, Robins & Red Wings.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the great big Bald Eagle & Runners-Up to the much smaller
Least & Pectoral Sandpipers, my 1st true shorebird migrants going south.

Al Stokie
Done in by the rain in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: