Date: 6/27/17 6:01 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] [Fwd: Vesper Sparrow nesting progress and more]
Forwarding this to OBOL ... in my initial posting on the Mid-Valley
birding/nature lists, I forgot to note that most of the situations where
we're finding Vesper Sparrows on eggs right now are in the vicinity of
nests that failed on the first round. -- joel

Hi all,

While monitoring VESPER SPARROWS on a ranch near Wren this morning, in
one pasture I lucked across a female brooding on a nest with four eggs.

Then in another pasture I heard two adults fussing so I sat down under a
tree to watch for a while. Eventually I got looks at them feeding at
least three fledglings that could fly just about as well as their
parents (though with a significant cuteness differential).

Other fledglings out and about included a young DOWNY WOODPECKER
(foraging independently) and several each of OREGON JUNCO and CHIPPING
SPARROW fledglings that were still being tended by adults.

Several birds seemed to be in an ornery mood. A male WESTERN TANAGER
flew halfway across a pasture to pester an AMERICAN ROBIN, but then flew
off when a second Robin joined the dispute. In another pasture, a female
BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK chased off a family of juncos and another grosbeak
from a spot where they'd been feeding on the ground. I walked over to
see what was so special about that spot, but couldn't figure it out --
unless the birds were going after seeds from a buttercup (Ranunculus
sp.).

Happy birding,
Joel

--