Date: 6/27/17 1:47 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Spring 2017 Shorebird Survey Totals
Hello Bird People,

As we approach July 1st when I begin my Summer/Fall shorebird survey
it will be a good time to show my Spring survey results. Unlike some
years this year, except for 1 visit to the Arcola Marsh area to see
the Cinnamon Teal, & a few Black Necked Stilts in southern Illinois
includes only local shorebirds seen in N.E. Illinois. So my totals of
both species & individuals are lower than usual. I hope to offset
those low totals with some high totals of southbound shorebirds later
in the year.
We shall see if that does indeed happen. Here's my Spring list:

2017 Spring Shorebirds

Black Bellied Plover (only 1 & at the Chicago Botanic Garden of all places!)

American Golden Plover (3)

Semipalmated Plover (22)

PIPING PLOVER (only 1)

Killdeer (210)

AMERICAN AVOCET (22, of which 21 were in 1 group at Baker's Lake)

Black Necked Stilt (5 way down south)

Greater Yellowlegs (40)

Lesser Yellowlegs (39)

Solitary Sandpiper (17)

Spotted Sandpiper (177)

WILLET (4)

UPLAND SANDPIPER (1 & also at the Chicago Botanic Garden & also a big surprise)

Ruddy Turnstone (28)

Sanderling (121)

Semipalmated Sandpiper (80)

Least Sandpiper (only 15)

White Rumped Sandpiper (3)

BAIRD'S SANDPIPER (1, hardly ever seen in N.E. Illinois in the Spring)

Pectoral Sandpiper (58)

Dunlin (7)

Long Billed Dowitcher (5 in Will County)

Wilson's Snipe (36)

American Woodcock (3)

WILSON'S PHALAROPE (1-F, in Kane County)

That's 25 species & 900 individuals for this Spring of which 880 were
local birds in N.E. Illinois.

Time to get ready for southbound migration with Lesser Yellowlegs &
Least Sandpipers usually leading that movement. I am ready & you
should be too.

Al Stokie
(Hoping for a Whimbrel this year after not seeing any for far too long!)

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: