Date: 6/26/17 7:58 pm
From: Rowe, Richard A, 'Dick' via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Dickcissels in Rockbridge County
All - Earlier today, I headed over to the house of one of our local birders to look for the Dickcissels that he has been seeing and hearing for the past week or so. After a few minutes, we heard the buzzy call of the male and finally located it in the pasture below his house. Both a male and female Dickcissel are present and hopefully they will nest. These birds are the second record for the county. In July and August of 2012, several Dickcissels were found along Hyde Rd south of Brownsburg. They were the first county records. It is unclear how many birds were in the Hyde Rd area but most likely there were 4-5. In addition to the Dickcissels, there was a very cooperative pair of Blue Grosbeaks who were willing to pose for photos. I've posted some photos of the Dickcissels and Blue Grosbeaks on Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vmibiology/

Dick Rowe
VMI Biology Dept.